2/8/11

Siberian Tigers are Incredible

This morning, we saw the Siberian tigers at the park a few kilometers away and it was absolutely bananas. Tickets to ride a bus through the Jurassic Park style zoo were 90 RMB each, but also on the price list included live animals. Lucky for us, someone else had already purchased a live cow for 2000 RMB for a feeding exhibition and we were going to be able to watch. The tigers are massive and beautiful, but seeing them in action reminds you that they are built for just absolutely ruining other animals in the wild.

I got some really great video footage of the tigers surrounding the cow before going in for the kill - and am really happy with the camera I bought for the trip. After the bus tour we got to tour some of the tigers' pens and pay to hand feed them some live meat, which I did. I bought a live chicken for 50 RMB tied to the end of a stick and dangled it over the tigers and they jumped like 8 feet in the to snipe the bird off the stick. Really cool stuff, Keith got a video of it. I've got pictures but they're on my external hard drive and I'm writing this in my iPhone.

After we finished up with the tigers, we went to Sun Island Park to see the Snow Festival. There were tons of carved snow statues all over the place, my favorite being a massive one of Apollo, maybe 50 feet tall and 250 feet tall.

The day was a full one, and tomorrow we'll be doing some sightseeing around town (cathedrals and temples and stuff) - then going to the Ice Festival for the evening.