2/11/11

Done with Harbin

Over the past few days, I think that we have successfully exhausted all the tourist destinations in Harbin, with the exceptions of the 731 torture camp (gross) and the Yabuli ski resort (2.5 hours away). We saw the snow festival, the ice festival, st. sophia's church, and got a taste of a culture that is a cross between Chinese and Russian.

In half an hour, our shuttle to bring us back to the airport will arrive, and we'll fly back to Beijing for our early morning flight back to the states. My take on Harbin is that it's not a bad city, but not worth visiting for longer than a few days unless you really love cold weather.

I'm looking forward to heading back to Beijing, where it's warmer and friendlier. I really like Beijing as a city and could easily see me coming back in the future - although probably at a different time of year, not because of the cold so much as because during spring festival/new years, everything is closed. Admittedly, new years eve in Beijing was a LOT of fun, but it's much harder to do all the sightseeing that I'd like to when everything is on a restricted schedule.